Although all of our Golden and Labrador Retrievers are carefully bred and trained, not all of the dogs in the Warrior Canine Connection program will choose the path of a working dog.
When we determine there are health or temperament issues that warrant a career change, we look for homes where our dogs will live the life of a well-loved member of the family. Priority is always given to Veterans, and we encourage applications from individuals who are interested in participating in dog activities like agility, obedience, tracking, and search and rescue.
Please note that career change dogs are not available on a first-come, first-served basis. We carefully screen our potential adoptive families and base our decisions on a number of criteria, including:
- The dog must not be left alone for more than five hours per day.
- Initially, you must live within two hours of Boyds, Maryland.
- Your property must have a physical fence that is at least four feet high (no invisible electric fences).
- An interview is required at our Healing Quarters in Boyds, including all members of the family who will have regular contact with the dog.
- If there are already dogs in your home, we will request that you bring them with you to determine if they will welcome the career change dog.
- You will not use the dog as a service animal.
- You assume all financial responsibility for the dog.
If you are interested in applying to adopt one of our dogs, please contact us.